Publishing Your Own Materials for Swords & Wizardry
If you want to publish your own Swords & Wizardry adventures or other gaming resources, you can! First of all, if you are interested in submitting your materials to Frog God Games for consideration, contact Bill Webb at email@example.com. If they are accepted, your work will get published as part of the Swords & Wizardry product line!
If you want to be your own, independent publisher of Swords & Wizardry resources, and you comply with the terms of the Swords & Wizardry Compatibility-Statement License, you can even use the Swords & Wizardry trademarks (S&W and Swords & Wizardry) to indicate that your resources are compatible. As long as you follow the requirements, you can state that your resource “is compatible with the rules of Swords & Wizardry” or, “compatible with the Swords & Wizardry rules” or, “compatible with the Swords & Wizardry game.”
Here are those requirements:
Swords & Wizardry Compatibility-Statement License (CSL)
1. You must state on the first page where you mention S&W that “Swords & Wizardry, S&W, and Mythmere Games are trademarks of Matthew J. Finch,” and that you are not affiliated with Matthew J. Finch, Mythmere Games™, or Frog God Games.
2. You must, when referring to the armor class of any creature or character, include both the descending AC and the Ascending System AC, with the Ascending System AC in brackets.
3. If you are using the license to commit legal fraud, you forfeit the right to continue using the license: specifically, if you are claiming compatibility with the rules of S&W, the claim must not constitute legal fraud, or fraud in the inducement, under the laws of the State of Texas. Note that this requirement is almost impossible to violate unintentionally—it is largely intended to keep the author out of trouble, not to restrict legitimate statements of compatibility.
4. You must comply with the terms of the OGL if the terms apply.
5. Your cover must include the words “House Rules” or “Variant Rules” near the title if the document is a full, free-standing game that includes modifications. Feel free to contact Frog God Games if you wish to use a different form of disclaimer.
6. Selling a full version of this game with your house rules incorporated into it is perfectly permissible, but you may not sell an effectively unchanged copy of the rules for money.
7. If your document is a private house rules document for your gaming group, not being sold for profit or distributed for general use, you may scan and use artwork (including the cover) from the printed version, provided that the cover contains the words “House Rules,” near the title, and that the artists are appropriately credited.
8. Your rights under this CSL cannot be revoked, and are perpetual, unless you breach the terms of the license, in which case your rights terminate.
9. If you comply with the above, you may state that your resource is “compatible with the rules of Swords & Wizardry” or, “compatible with the Swords & Wizardry rules” or, “compatible with the Swords & Wizardry game.”
If you have questions about the license, feel free to contact us.
Open Game Content may only be used under and in terms of the Open Game License Version 1.0a (OGL).
This entire work is designated as Open Game Content under the OGL, with the exception of the trademarks “Swords & Wizardry,” “S&W,” and “Mythmere Games,” and with the exception of all artwork. These trademarks, and the Trade Dress of this work (font, layout, style of artwork, etc.) are reserved as Product Identity.
Swords & Wizardry logos used by permission from Frog God Games.
Open Game Content
Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of the Open Game License (OGL).
This entire work is designated as Open Game Content under the OGL, with the exception of the trademarks “Swords & Wizardry,” “S&W,” “Mythmere Games,” “FGG,” “Frog God Games,” and with the exception of all artwork. These trademarks, artwork, and the Trade Dress of this work (font, layout, style of artwork, etc.) are reserved as Product Identity.
Open Game License
OPEN GAME LICENSE Version 1.0a
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc (“Wizards”). All Rights Reserved.
(a) ”Contributors” means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content;
(b) ”Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted;
(c) “Distribute” means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute;
(d) ”Open Game Content” means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity.
(e) “Product Identity” means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content;
(f) “Trademark” means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor
(g) “Use”, “Used” or “Using” means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content.
(h) “You” or “Your” means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License
This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3. Offer and Acceptance
By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration
In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5. Representation of Authority to Contribute
If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6. Notice of License Copyright
You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity
You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License
Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10. Copy of this License
You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits
You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12. Inability to Comply
If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
System Reference Document Copyright 2000-2003, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Rich Baker, Andy Collins, David Noonan, Rich Redman, Bruce R. Cordell, John D. Rateliff, Thomas Reid, James Wyatt, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Swords & Wizardry Core Rules, Copyright 2008, Matthew J. Finch